Many Are Calle, But Few Are Chose,
Many Are Called, but Few Are Chosen
Matthew 22:1–14
There is a kingdom party.
A king prepares a wedding banquet for his son. The food is ready, the tables are set, and the invitations have been delivered.
It should be a story about joy.
But Jesus tells it during a moment of crisis. He has entered Jerusalem, confronted the religious leaders, and challenged their assumptions about authority and faithfulness. The kingdom for which people had prayed was arriving in the person of Jesus.
The invitation had become immediate:
“Everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.”
Too Busy to Come
The first guests had already been invited. The servants were simply announcing that the anticipated moment had arrived.
But the guests refused to come.
Some returned to their fields and businesses. Their activities were not necessarily evil. Work had to be done. Responsibilities had to be met.
But something can be legitimate and still become the reason we miss the most important moment of our lives.
The kingdom had come, and they had something else to do.
Others reacted violently, mistreating and killing the king’s servants. The invitation exposed what was already within them. They did not merely decline an invitation; they resisted the king’s authority.
The Invitation Widens
The king refused to allow their rejection to cancel the celebration.
He sent his servants into the roads with new instructions:
“Invite everyone you find.”
They gathered the good and the bad, the respectable and the disreputable, those who expected an invitation and those who never imagined anyone would make room for them.
The banquet hall was filled.
That detail matters. When Jesus says, “Many are called, but few are chosen,” he is not describing a reluctant God searching for reasons to keep the room empty.
The king keeps sending.
The invitation keeps widening.
The servants keep gathering.
Grace goes into the roads looking for people.
Everybody Has a Name
I learned something about invitations from my own wedding.
Andrea and I were married in 1975. I was working my first full-time job as an associate pastor and living out of town. I left most of the wedding preparations to my fiancée and her family.
I had a simple philosophy:
The bride is right.
Unfortunately, I also neglected my part of the invitation list. As far as I was concerned, everybody was invited. Just show up.
But “everybody is invited” is not the same as looking someone in the eye, calling that person by name, and saying, “I want you to be there.”
I failed to place one or two important people on the list. Because they did not receive a personal invitation, they reasonably concluded that they were not invited.
So they did not come.
There were hurt feelings. More than fifty years later, I still remember that with embarrassment.
That experience taught me something:
Everybody is made up of some very specific people.
If you are invited, it is because someone took the time and made the effort to think specifically about you.
Your name crossed someone’s mind.
A place was imagined for you.
Room was made for you at the table.
The invitation of God’s kingdom does not come merely to humanity in general. It comes to particular people—with names, stories, questions, failures, and possibilities.
And those of us entrusted with the invitation cannot merely hang a sign saying, “Everyone is welcome.” Someone must carry the invitation. Someone must personally say:
“There is room at the table for you.”
Present but Not Participating
The parable takes another turn when the king finds a guest who is not wearing appropriate wedding clothing.
The garment does not purchase admission. The guests are there because the king invited them. They did not earn their seats.
But the invitation calls for a response.
The garment represents a life appropriate to the occasion. This man has entered the room, but he has not truly entered the celebration. He is present without participating. He occupies a place at the table without honoring the king or the son.
Grace is free, but grace is not trivial.
Grace welcomes us as we are, but it does not leave us indifferent to the King, the Son, the other guests, or the celebration.
The kingdom calls for more than occupying a chair. It calls for repentance, readiness, mercy, faithfulness, joy, and participation.
How Will We Respond?
Jesus concludes:
“Many are called, but few are chosen.”
The called are those reached by the King’s invitation. The chosen are those whom the King finally recognizes as belonging to the celebration.
We do not choose ourselves. The final verdict belongs to God.
But Jesus does not tell us this so that we can speculate about a hidden list in heaven. He places the invitation before us and asks what we will do with it.
How is God inviting me today?
What responsibility, ambition, fear, or distraction may be preventing me from responding?
Am I participating in the kingdom—or merely occupying religious space?
Has grace begun to change the way I live, love, forgive, serve, and welcome others?
Whose name has God placed upon my heart so that I can personally carry the invitation to that person?
I cannot earn the invitation.
I can receive it.
I cannot appoint myself as one of the chosen.
I can respond to the One who calls me.
Everything is ready.
There is room at the table.
The King says:
“Come.”
Read the complete study and access the deeper reflection materials:
https://tomsims.substack.com/p/many-are-called-but-few-are-chosen
Comments